DL&W Oswego Photos
Erie Lackawanna GP9 #1275 heading south from the yard, crossing West Erie Street. K.L. Hojnacki
Erie Lackawanna GP9 1262 pushes a wing plow ahead of the local arriving in the Oswego yard in the winter of 1969. K.L. Hojnacki
Looking west along Utica Street, the roundhouse and the office to the left are seen in this 1940s view from Barbeau Studio. The roundhouse office was, by 1966, the office for the freight clerk and the MOW crew. Barbeau Studio
Further east along Utica Street, you can see the track leading to the passenger station and one of the stone arched bridges over the track to the tunnel and the port. Barbeau Studio
Looking east on Utica Street, the DL&W passenger station is on the curbside and further to the right is the original O&S stone freighthouse. Barbeau Studio
The original Oswego & Syracuse freighthouse still stands in this June 6, 1994 view, although the tracks are gone. M.W. Leukhardt
In better times, the DL&W station is on the left with a train just arriving and the NYC station is on the right, separated by tracks and Utica Street.
In January, 1969, a ride with the EL MOW crew meant a trip by hirailer through the tunnel. Here, the truck exits the north or "new" end of the tunnel after chipping ice on the walls. K.L. Hojnacki
In a very early view, what looks like newly-laid track stands before hundreds of masts of ships moored along the river. The last freighthouse was built about where the boxcar is sitting. Barbeau Studio
Another old view shows the grain warehouses along the river and the new O&S track heading to the lakefront.
Looking north, you can see the track along the west side of the river, heading for the port and the roof of the new freighthouse.
Looking south from the top of the state grain elevator, we see a switcher spotting cars.
The grain elevator was still in use on June 6, 1994, although no longer serviced by rail. M. W. Leukhardt
Coal transfer from rail to ship began to be important very early on. The first trestle was this Oswego & Syracuse trestle constructed along the west shore of the river, probably just north of Utica Street.
The second Lackawanna trestle was a long, wooden dock on the lakefront proper.
Lake Ontario can be very rough so breakwalls were built around the trestle to make calmer water for docking.
Looking from the area of the O&W trestle, we can see the end of the trestle, sailing colliers and barges and the coal slip breakwalls.
At the foot of the trestle was a powerhouse. It is unclear why the old coach was located there and would be a great find today. In the rear, the Coal Haven waits to be loaded. Barbeau Studio
Too much push and not enough pier landed two gondolas of stone in the harbor. Barbeau Studio
Sailing ships were the original coal vessels and here, one is being towed out of the slip.
The coal loader replaced the trestle on the same pier. Barbeau Studio
In close-up, the Valley Camp collier is being loaded. Barbeau Studio
The loader originally relied on gravity to empty the cars. Barbeau Studio
The loader before the shaker was added. Barbeau Studio
The Coalfax is seen loading at the loader. Barbeau Studio
A rare color view of the loader in its last years.
An over-all view of the harbor, showing the O&W slip and terminal area at the bottom, the state grain elevator across the river, and the Lackawanna loader with the shaker. Barbeau Studio