Fulton, New York was a busy station on the Ontario & Western. The Peter Kohler Candy Company, later to become Nestles, and the Arrowhead Mills provided a lot of inbound and outbound traffic for the railroad. Prior to 1926, the O&W tracks ran in the street and the station fronted the tracks on Broadway. The New York Central came north from Syracuse and joined the O&W on the south end of town near a place called Nelsons. From here to Oswego, the NYC had trackage rights for passenger trains. Arrowhead was on the north side of Fulton and was a busy switching location. In the 1920s, a grade crossing reduction project moved the tracks further east to get them off the street. A switcher was stationed in Fulton and often was a camelback 0-6-0 and later, a GE 44-tonner. NYC took over the track when the O&W ceased operating in 1957 and used it until Conrail acquired it and the parallel DL&W line on the west side of the Oswego River. The Lackawanna line is now Conrail's main entrance into Oswego.

It was late afternoon, November 11, 1910. At the Fulton Broadway station on the city's south side, New York Central passenger train #303 northbound waited for the O&W southbound extra #110 to arrive before proceeding to Oswego. Also on the south side was the Fulton shifter, #91. Having finished its work at the Nestle plant engineer White and conductor Gillespie decided to run to the north yard to clear for extra 110.

At Minetto, six miles north, engineer Bickert and conductor Brown received orders to meet #303 at Fulton and so were rolling their train along at a high rate of speed.   The 110 crew, however, did not know about 91 still occupying the main track at Fulton. When 91 reached Erie Street at 6:00 PM, they found 110 bearing down on them and had just enough time to stop their engine and leap out of the cab windows. Bickert saw 91 in time to hit the air and brace himself. On collision, 110 uncoupled from its train, lost both tender trucks, and pushed 91 over one hundred feet down the track. Fireman Ackerman and head brakeman Bird, in the 110's cab, were buried in the shifting coal from the tender and were later taken to the hospital with serious injuries. Fortunately, no one was killed.

 The NYC wrecker from Oswego was first on the scene with the Norwich crew arriving later. Trains were delayed for about an hour until #303 finally left via a temporary siding. O&W through freight #29 followed #303 out, successfully pulled through the siding but just after rejoining the main, the rails beneath the engine spread and dumped nine cars of coal in all directions, completely clogging the line. Superintendent Hartigan personally supervised the work after this fiasco and service was eventually restored by morning. In the meantime, O&W passengers were treated to a longer trip via the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensberg trackage of the NYC to and from Oswego.

This wreck was the second within two weeks in Fulton. The previous Fulton shifter, #80, was involved in a head-on collision when #153 on another southbound freight ran into her at the Division Street water column. No serious injuries were inflicted on the father and son crew of the shifter and another son running the freight.

Fulton Broadway station about the time of the Spanish American War.

Back to O&W Directory