In 1871, a branch was built by the New York & Oswego Midland from the mainline at Summitville north to Ellenville. In 1902, an extension was opened which brought the O&W into Kingston and a connection with the Ulster & Delaware. These photo and postcard shots show views along the Kingston Branch.
The Kingston (or Ellenville, if you prefer) Branch left the mainline at Summitville. This junction saw the tracks head not only north to Ellenville and Kingston but also south to Port Jervis and Monticello. Here we see the O&W's attempt at streamlining, or more properly, streamstyling, as the northbound Mountaineer Limited with light Class Y 4-8-2 #405, resplendent in maroon and orange, waits to leave the Summitville station. The station roof is seen over the combine and the Kingston Branch tracks are in the background heading off to the left. In an earlier view looking north, the train on the left is on the mainline and the one on the right is on the Kingston Branch.
A mile up the track, the tiny hamlet of Phillipsport sported this quaint depot near the falls. Postcard view courtesy George Shammas.
Just three miles north of the mainline was the hamlet of Spring Glen. Like most of the Catskill region, tourists were big business on the Kingston Branch. Many farmers and shopkeepers rented out rooms in their homes or built special guest facilities for the summer visitors. In Spring Glen, William Smith was not only the agent for the O&W but ran a tourist home as well. In these rare views, we can see the small addition to the house/store that constituted the O&W station in this small town.
was the largest station between
Summitville and Kingston. The station here was once the terminus
of the branch. Later,a beautiful
station was built which still exists, its beauty is hidden
by additions that disguise its former glory. More views of Ellenville-
View 1, View
2, View 3, View
4, View 5. In another
view, we see a presumably southbound
mixed train pulled by a diamond-stacked locomotive running
along the D&H Canal. Note the passenger car tacked on the
rear of this train. (Second postcard card courtesy George Shammas)
|Back to O&W Main Page||Kingston Branch-Ellenville to Kingston|